Ambassador Tebogo SEOKOLO is South Africa’s Ambassador (Designate) to France and Monaco as well as Permanent Delegate to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
The Ambassador is a graduate of the University of Pretoria with a Masters in Diplomatic Studies and a Bachelor of Arts Degree in English Literature and History. He did his diplomatic training at the then Foreign Service Institute (FSI) of the Department of Foreign Affairs as well as in other countries abroad.
Ambassador Seokolo joined the foreign service of South Africa in 1995 at the dawn of the country’s freedom and democracy. Over the last 25 years he served his country in the following capacities:
- South Africa’s Ambassador to Austria and Permanent Representative to the UN and International Organisations in Vienna (2014-2019).
In this regard he represented South Africa in organisations such as the IAEA (also as a Member of the Board of Governors), UNODC, UNIDO, UNCOPOUS, CTBTO and the NSG
- South Africa’s Ambassador to Turkey, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan (2008 – 2011)
- Deputy Chief of State Protocol of the Republic of South Africa (2004 – 2007)
- Acting Chief of State Protocol of the Republic of State Protocol (2006)
- Chief Director of Western Europe of the Department of Foreign Affairs (2012-2013)
- Chief Director Governance Office of the Premier, Northwest Province (2002 -2004)
- Director Intergovernmental Relations Office of the Premier of the Northwest Province (2000-2002)
- First Secretary Political Affairs at the South African Embassy in The Netherlands (1996 -2000)
- Assistant Director at the Department of Foreign Affairs (1995-1996)
While posted in Austria, Vienna, Ambassador Seokolo assumed leadership positions in various international organisations including as Chairperson of the IAEA Board of Governors (2016/2017); President of the Board of UNIDO (2014); Chairperson of the African Group in Vienna (2015); Vice Chairperson of the Preparatory Commission of the CTBTO (2015); 2nd Vice President of the UN Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (2016); Co-Chairperson of the Friends of Nelson Mandela Rules (United Nations Minimum Standard for the Treatment of Prisoners) and Co-Chairperson of The Friends of ReNual - IAEA Project to renovate the Nuclear Applications Laboratories in Austria.